Sunday, October 16, 2011

Coop quilt part 3 It's done!

It's finally done!!!!
There were a few more steps from the last time we left off...

We made paint sample patches to test the spray we were going to use to protect the art from the elements outside. I didn't want my hard work to bubble off because we didn't do a simple compatibility test!
It's a good thing we did the test too, because we discovered that the polyurethane spray yellowed the light blue color on the right side; I am not sure if that shows in the picture.
So we reserved the can of polyurethane for the backside of the board, and then we tested a clear KRYLON spray on the left side. Perfect!

Drum roll please....tudududududududududududududududududududududududududududuh....

Ta Da!
Keith suggested using mirror holders to attach it to the coop, he did all the leveling and screw-driving, while I held the board up. It was HEAVY!
And there you have it!

I noticed on the barn quilt site that the quilt squares have names, some are very descriptive, others are whimsical.
Ours should have a name too.

We have been tossing around geeky astro-physics names like "Big Bang", "Eclipsed Sun", "Singularity","Sol",etc.
If anyone has a name suggestion for this creation we would love to hear it!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Coop quilt part 2

I am getting excited as this project progresses! I have been very happy each time I have pulled tape away to reveal paint edges.

Isn't that looking nice? just two more colors to go!

Looking more like my paper pattern...

I think I'll be mean and wait until the next installment to show the finished product.

Until then, check out this web site of beautiful Barn Quilts.
I wish more folks in Montana would decorate their barns. There's lots of empty canvases out there!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Coop quilt part 1

The coop has been finished for awhile, but there is a large blank space just begging for a coop sized barn quilt.

I was inspired by this blog post, please check it out!

Keith cut a 3X3 piece of hard board and I primed it with some left over Kilz we had from painting the coop.

Here are the colors I picked out to be on the quilt block pattern.

I made a design on graph paper, and then drew a grid on the primed board.

This is the first tape-up for light green paint to be applied.

A second tape-up and yellow paint added

Here's the tape-up for orange rays.

Orange paint is applied and left to dry.

Stay tuned...

There is more to do tomorrow!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Tying one on

An apron of course! This was another gift from my secret sister, along with a journal and note cards! :)

Monday, August 01, 2011

Why we don't eat outside very often...

We have company....
Lots of company!

Back to my roots

To beat the heat, the boys and I went to Many Pines campground.
Many happy memories and the wild flowers were amazing!